There is nothing like fresh air and a day on the river to help you relax and unwind. Just
minutes from Columbia, you can enjoy the wilderness setting of the historic and biologically diverse Duck River. So, turn off your cell phone and take time to enjoy the natural beauty of the Duck River.
Is a guided trip right for me?
Do you want just a little extra help with your kids so you can take your family paddling on your own the next time?
Has it been 20 years since the last time you paddled a canoe and that last time didn't turn out very well?
Do you need some extra help because you have never been in a canoe or kayak before?
Do you want to know more about the history, folklore, wildlife, and legends of the Duck River?
If you answered yes to any these questions then a guided trip may be a good option for you.
Why use a guide service?
- We know the best places to swim
- We know the good lunch spots
- We can share with your group the stories, history, and legends of the area
- We can help you learn how to make that canoe or kayak go where you want it to go
- We can share information about the amazing range of wildlife that exist in and around the river
What will my trip be like?
When you sign up for your trip you will receive detailed information on what time to meet, what to bring, and about your trip.
Your trip will typically last 4 to 5 hours depending on how long your group wants to swim or how fast your group chooses to paddle.
You can choose to paddle a canoe or kayak on your trip.
The river routes available for guided trips are described on our
river routes page.
Before your trip begins, your guide will spend time explaining how
to paddle and helping all participants get comfortable with their
boat, paddling, and getting into their boat.
What is the cost?
- For 1 to 10 people there is a $50 guide fee in addition to your
- For 11 to 20 people there is a $100 guide fee in addition to your rental fees.
- Your boat rental includes boats, life jackets, and paddles.
- Participants must bring their own lunch.
- There is no charge for children 7 or under.
- The minimum age is 2 years old. Call us to discuss the age maturity and ability of your children to determine if this is an appropriate trip for them.
- All guided trips require advanced reservations (typically two or more weeks) and are subject to availability of a guide.
- During the summer months, guided trips are typically not available on the weekend due to the high volume of rental customers.
For guided trips, we have created a participant letter that can be sent to all group members. It includes our contact information, suggested packing list, overview of the day, and directions to the canoe base.
Download Guided Trip Participant Letter
To speed up your check-in at the canoe base, you can download our Release Form and complete it ahead of time. You will need one release form for each person in your group (including one for each child). If you have participant under the age of 18, they will need a parent or guardian to sign their release form ahead of time.
Download Higher Pursuits Release Form
Typical timeline for a guided trip is as follows:
- 9 am - meet at canoe base
- 9 am to 10 am - Overview of trip, select lifejackets, move to river and unload equipment
- 10 am to 2 or 3 pm - Paddle, lunch, breaks throughout the day
- 3 pm to 3:30 - Return to canoe base, change clothes, depart
Some groups take less time and other groups take more time than listed above.
Additional Information about guided trips
- Higher Pursuits provides experienced guides to teach you the basic skills needed to enjoy a day on the river.
- Our guides are trained in first aid, have over 20 years of paddling experience, and are certified
canoe instructors with the American Canoe Association.
- Higher Pursuits reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any trip due to inclement weather or unsafe water conditions.
- If Higher Pursuits cancels a trip you will be given an option of rescheduling for another trip or receive a full refund.
- Full payment is due the day of your trip.
- Higher Pursuits requires that ALL PARTICIPANTS wear a personal floatation device at all times.
- Use of alcohol is not permitted at any time.
Call at (931) 840-8575 or
email us to schedule your trip!